Elvis
post Jan 23 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

From here
https://www.outsideonline.com/2270296/stop-progression

A < 5 min read about how the pursuit of progression has led to making once-pleasant sports into death-tempting affairs. Mountain biking is one example given, skiing another. The author's call is to end the progression thing.

Which is to say reflecting on the usual argument on this board, it's not a question of big hill good/bad, it's a question of what is progression?

Jumping off from that question: So sure, you can make some Internets post about how SX is/not progression and get into the whole back-and-forth on that, but maybe that's not the approach we need to take. Progression is bigger/higher/faster at this point. Maybe what we need to be looking at is not "the progression of the sport" but "the evolution of the sport."

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
expertncbmxer
post Jan 24 2018, 08:46 AM
Post #2

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,157

Going bigger, faster and further than before is one of the more unique aspects of action sports when compared to traditional ones. Its also one of the main reasons many, including myself, love them so much. The feeling of pushing your boundaries and accomplishing something you haven't before is incredible. That being said, there is only so far that the boundaries can be pushed before you fall over the edge. I feel that many action sports are reaching this edge and as people continue to push it further and further they either are successful and get a rush like never before, or pay the price. In action sports, you need to be fully aware and confident with your capabilities, and skills in relation to the boundary you are pushing, weighing the risks vs reward, and if you feel comfortable with taking it upon yourself to accept those risks, then its solely your responsibility for the outcome.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Jan 28 2018, 08:08 AM
Post #3

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

QUOTE (Elvis @ Jan 23 2018, 05:01 PM) *
From here
https://www.outsideonline.com/2270296/stop-progression

A < 5 min read about how the pursuit of progression has led to making once-pleasant sports into death-tempting affairs. Mountain biking is one example given, skiing another. The author's call is to end the progression thing.

Which is to say reflecting on the usual argument on this board, it's not a question of big hill good/bad, it's a question of what is progression?

Jumping off from that question: So sure, you can make some Internets post about how SX is/not progression and get into the whole back-and-forth on that, but maybe that's not the approach we need to take. Progression is bigger/higher/faster at this point. Maybe what we need to be looking at is not "the progression of the sport" but "the evolution of the sport."

Good, good stuff. I enjoyed this article very much.

What, in your opinion, is the difference between progression and evolution?

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Feb 10 2018, 09:00 AM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

QUOTE (thebondtrader55 @ Jan 28 2018, 08:08 AM) *
Good, good stuff. I enjoyed this article very much.

What, in your opinion, is the difference between progression and evolution?

?

+Quote Post
D_Man
post Feb 13 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 589

I've had similar thoughts when I watch the top-levels of modern ramp riding/dirt jumping/street. Beyond even the stupid level of danger involved, I've somehow just become numb to the "progression" of it despite the obvious talent involved. The double-back flip no handed 720s happen so fast that it just becomes a blur of crazy to me. And dare I say it, most of the "sick edits" have just gotten boring. Oh look, he's jumping a canyon and might die if he fails to land it. Yawn.

I have similar feelings about Supercross and the Big Hill. Amazing talent involved, but it's almost a cartoon of BMX.

IMO, the sport is always going to need a balance between "progression" and accessibility/relatability.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 01:42 AM