Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bounce Back Nationals is ON
MikeCarruth
post May 13 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

(IMG:http://www.bmxnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/mayes-county-bmx-bounceback-nationals.jpg)

USA BMX announced today that the would re-start the 2020 National Series in Pryor, OK with a three-day national on June 5-7.

Click for more info, as well as the special procedures involved.

USA BMX Bounce Back Nationals on bmxnews.com

Best,

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveClark
post May 18 2020, 07:47 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,503

While I am glad that races are going to start happening again, I'm kinda bummed that it looks like they are just gonna start throwing races into whatever states are open to number of people that could show up. Living on the west coast means a lot of travel if you are trying to hit nationals now. I fully understand that USABMX pretty much lives off of the national series, and you can't fault them one bit for trying to get things moving, but for someone that doesn't live anywhere close to anywhere that a national could take place for quite some time, I'm just a little jealous. I'm also very curious as to how many people go to this first national. Half of me sees it being huge, with people from all over wanting to get races in the books, but the other half of me sees a lot of people staying home, not wanting to travel or deal with big crowds of people. It should be very interesting.

+Quote Post
BS
post May 18 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #3

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post May 19 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

I think it will be in the 250 moto range (not sure if that's big or medium, but I think it's a healthy size for the circumstances).

Airfares are still on the low side ($250 r/t for me to fly to Tulsa, which is about $100 less than normal), but load factors are coming back, so the fares will be going higher as demand comes back.

I totally understand what everyone is saying about wishing they had better access to races. I live in Illinois, and I can't imagine that there could be a national here in a few weeks. No official announcement yet, but the Governor is tightening restrictions, not relaxing them, as of yesterday, so... Like most Blue State governors, he wants to keep it shut down as long as humanly possible.

That, plus South Park local authorities released a statement yesterday that the BMX Track would not open til August. That's a glimpse at things to come, vis a vis the national schedule.

So, yeah, I think ABA is in scramble mode to find locations that fit the very short list of states where an event like this would be possible. So far, that seems to be places like Texas, Iowa, Indiana, South Dakota...maybe Georgia. Any others y'all know about?

As for it being an "asterisk season," it is what it is. That was sealed once the first state was shut down, even before BMX Racing reacted. No matter what was done after that, those who would be inclined to put an asterisk on the season would have done so, no matter what.

It's the kind of thing that, 25 years from now, people will ask "what happened in 2020 that made them have an asterisk?"

Don't get me wrong, though, there will be no-such asterisk on the official champion banners, so 10 years form now, even, there will be no perception of a disruption in the force.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
SteveClark
post May 21 2020, 11:51 AM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 17,503

They added two more nationals. I wonder how many weekends in a row they will do them. Three weeks in a row so far. I understand that everyone wants to get back to racing, and the USABMX really needs nationals to make money, but sometimes they really look kinda greedy. After these first three, that will be one race in each section of the country, I wonder if the numbers of each of those will determine when and where more races are placed, or if it's just gonna be as many races as they can throw in.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post May 22 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

I'm sure it is going to be catch as catch can for the balance of the year.

If they WERE running every week, and going east, central, west...east, central, west, there would be a race in each region every three weeks. That is a little packed, but not much different than the normal summer schedule. Not saying that is going to be the case, but...

Even before COVID, From Jun 26 to Sept 4, there was a race every week.

John David said in the Podcast I did with him that there would be some double up weekends as well.

Right now, it is more down to what states are available to run races, more than anything else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 06:34 AM