IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Local Race report: Utah State Champ Finals.
bnd
post Sep 10 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Rad Canyon, S. Jordan, Utah.

Well, I haven't done one of these in a while so this goes out to all of my 5 peeps that still rep this place, holla if you hear me......!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I decided to get the family out to this years SCF's, this would be the biggest race my kids have ever been apart of & a few weeks ago, I decided to race it, first time in 10, yes 10 years! Iv'e raced exactly ONCE out there in 10 years and that came last summer on a spur of the moment thing.

67 motos.
The younger kids classes were packed, great turnout. As a matter of fact, it felt like a small national. There were a ton of RV's in the parking lot, Mark Kelly w/ Full Tilt had his mobile bike store out there & it seemed like there was always a line of customers 3 deep waiting for his services. Great guy btw.

The weather was a factor. Of course it was windy as it always is out there but it was gusting at times where you had to fight to keep your balance, then came the rain right when the mains started. the first 5 motos went and there were crashes in the 1st turn every moto. They called a rain delay for about 30-45 minutes. It was funny, all of us older guys were griping about "BITD we would just race" but our T.O. knew that if they continued, they would catch hell from a lot of the parents/racers so I don't blame them for doing what they did. Things are different nowadays.
On to the mains............

6 Novice, 9 riders.
My daughter decided she wanted to race at last call. I literally RAN to sign ups to get her in. She had her first flag football game 2 hrs earlier in the morning and it was rough, so she wasn't sure she wanted to race but during practice, she saw a few of her friends and then all of a sudden she wanted to race, lol.
She got 2nd in her 1st moto and transferred out. She was balancing good but sitting down during the cadence because.......that's what she does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Main time, full gate, as the cadence starts she stands up(!) on her own and gets out mid pack. She ends up 4th and we are all stoked!
In the main, girls made up 6, yes 6 of the finalists with a girl winning it. I couldn't be more prouder of my daughter & all these little gals making it happen. Our scene is very strong with the powder puff classes.
Sporting the red Utes jersey.
(IMG:http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL144/1660939/24571718/413544618.jpg)

9 Inter. 8 riders.
My son is really starting to come around in the inter class. He almost won his 2nd moto. Main time, gets a good gate but ends up in 6th coming out of the 2nd corner. He gets a good drive, hits the turbo and passes rider 5 & 4, charging the last straight and loses out on 3rd by a knobby, 4th place. We were stoked again but boy, was he PISSED for losing out on 3rd! I like the fire in him and he tells us that yeah, it's a bike race but losing still sucks. BTW, he was the only kid in his main running flat pedals, yeah!
(IMG:http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL144/1660939/24571718/413544619.jpg)

51-55 cruiser main.
I got my ass handed to me. 3rd.

What a GREAT time we had as a family, it's been a looong time since we did this race & I'm glad we got back & spent the day out there. Just being part of the excitement, seeing long time friends that have moved to other parts of the State & just BS'ing was wonderful. The Rad Canyon crew, what can I say about them? They put on a FIRST CLASS operation, every one of them! These memories will not soon be forgotten. BMX rules!

T.P. & me.
(IMG:http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL144/1660939/24571718/413544617.jpg)

(IMG:http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL144/1660939/24571718/413544616.jpg)

b.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nigelnyc
post Sep 11 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 2,423

Nice Trophies! Thanks for the update!

+Quote Post
papawheely
post Sep 13 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Novice

Member No.: 3,390

It was great to see you, D and the kids back out to Rad this weekend. It's always fun racing with you. Thanks for the report.

+Quote Post
Evan
post Sep 15 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 780

Nice report, b! That last photo is gold.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 03:48 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray