Reply to this topicStart new topic
BMXNEWS Podcast: Toby Henderson on his new company
MikeCarruth
post Nov 3 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

(IMG:http://www.bmxnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/580_11_interbike_DSC_0115.jpg)

As promised yesterday, we sat down with Toby today to get some granular details on his new company (including the not-before-uttered-in-public name of the brand).

A fairly-short, 20-min show, but lots of great stuff inside.

Listen Now on BMXNEWS.COM

Please come back and discuss!

Enjoy!

M
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedMist
post Nov 3 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,937

Looking forward to seeing these "Lamborghini" quality Box components. Seems like a risk for Willers to sign with his company, being as there aren't any parts. Toby's passion is infectious and it's easy to see how Willers would get onboard, parts unseen.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Nov 3 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

I sense this venture giving rise to many threads in the coming year.

I'm glad Toby's on our side.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Nov 4 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

Good Luck to Toby in his new venture!

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Nov 4 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

BMX racing seems to have the high end part pretty well covered. It needs that "newb-beginner" market really filled in well. I'm sure high margin, low volume Lamborghini style parts will def make it, but we really need to see that low margin, high volume end filled in as well.

Of course this would lead back to that discussion on "more tracks, what kind of tracks, more riders, how to get them...etc".

Toby rules for being in the game since forever. Props.

+Quote Post
lumpy
post Nov 4 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 1,375

QUOTE (Brett Middaugh @ Nov 4 2011, 02:35 PM) *
BMX racing seems to have the high end part pretty well covered. It needs that "newb-beginner" market really filled in well. I'm sure high margin, low volume Lamborghini style parts will def make it, but we really need to see that low margin, high volume end filled in as well.

Of course this would lead back to that discussion on "more tracks, what kind of tracks, more riders, how to get them...etc".

Well, from the sound of it, some of the companies Toby is working with can cover that market as well... In fact, I would be willing to bet they already have spec on entry level completes..

Brian

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Nov 4 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (Brett Middaugh @ Nov 4 2011, 09:35 AM) *

DKs at Wal Mart?

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Nov 4 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #8

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

I was thinking that, as well as the Hypers.

But then I look at the problem of...I could have a walmart that sells nothing but Hypers and DK's, (perish the thought)...but then I'd have a thousand kids with BMX racing bikes and no place close to even try something that resembled BMX racing.

When I look at BMX racing I see cylindrical problems.

Not enough tracks, not enough riders...get more tracks, not enough riders to fill them, get more riders not enough tracks...

I have an idea on how to bring the idea of a "BMX racing track" to the masses...which I acquired from some smart folks but till I get this biz plan done and the SBA loan together, it ain't doing nobody no good. (very small, not earth shattering, just a "I talk a lot but don't stick my arse in the fire to implement kinda thing, so I better nut up.")

Again, I'm not dissing anyone but it seems to me that BMX racing has no shortage of really good high quality component makers. It needs lots more really bad, every day, average, golly gee whiz I love BMX racing people to just buy into the idea of BMX racing. JMO

+Quote Post
TimL
post Nov 4 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #9

A Pro

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 120

Its always informative to hear from Toby. He is likely the one person in BMX who knows the most about the industry. Anything Toby tells you...listen closely.

Interesting points he makes:

Size of the BMX racing frame and component market: No doubt, it is difficult to even break even. But he feels there is hope. I think he's right.

Cyclocross: Amazing surge in Cyclocross interest these days. Even my daughter, in her first year in college, is on the cycling team and very interested in Cyclocross.

Use of alloys, tapered tubes, etc.: There has always been a fascination with titanium but no real benefit. Titanium just sounds cool, I have never seen any advantage to justify the cost.

Very good interview Mike and Toby.

+Quote Post
incog
post Nov 4 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #10

Intermediate

Member No.: 5,733

How do i listen to this on my iphone? Thanks!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 10:24 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees