Reply to this topicStart new topic
NBL Discontinues Publication of BMX Today, Official NBL Press Release
MikeCarruth
post Dec 9 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

HILLIARD, OH. (Dec. 9, 2009) — In an effort to keep up with the publication trends, the NBL will discontinue publishing the monthly issued print version of BMX Today Magazine. The decision will include the December 2009 issue.

The NBL recognizes that track directors use the print version as a powerful recruiting tool, and while the online version will still be useful in this manner, plans are in place to provide tracks with supporting materials to replace the magazine. In addition to an online version of the magazine, the NBL will also be working more closely with local newspapers and industry publications to highlight National and Regional events as well as the standout riders at those events.

BMX Today Editor & Art Director Jess Moore said: “I am excited about the possibilities of our new online version of BMX Today. It will still feature complete coverage of all our National and Regional events, and all your favorite columns, including Head of the Class, Tomorrow’s Stars, Champions Corner, Pit Pass, Flashback, and All in the Family. There is also the added bonus of video content, color photos and additional columns which will enhance the reader’s experience and put more information at our membership’s fingertips.”

New NBL CEO, Gary Aragon, added: “ In this day and age, the internet has dominated the publication world and is truly the place people turn for their information. The new NBL website is in the last phase of production and will launch in early 2010 with many exciting features that surpass what the print version could offer. I am certain that our members will experience a greater value with this decision.”

The first issue of BMX Today Magazine (editors note: originally "Bicycles Today" and produced as a tabloid newspaper) was published in August 1977, and the publication has been delivered monthly to NBL members ever since.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigJeff
post Dec 9 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,497

One would think they would keep it until they got the other up and running ( surely based on their track record with their present web site ) and all bugs worked out........They also assume that all members have internet access...............Work a deal for access with membership with a carrier...............I'm out BigJeff

+Quote Post
Sprite - Caffein...
post Dec 9 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 8,014

One would think they would keep it until they got the other up and running ( surely based on their track record with their present web site ) and all bugs worked out........

maybe they don't have the money to continue..

+Quote Post
AirportFF
post Dec 9 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 7,527

I can think of about a dozen families locally that race and do not have internet. Guess they're screwed. I thought the original thing was that they were going to go with less issues per year.

Also there goes all the little kids opportunity to have a picture in a magazine. Since most publications really only print pics of pros or older experts.

+Quote Post
FNSRACING
post Dec 9 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 22,180

THAT SUX

+Quote Post
Kamikaze kid
post Dec 9 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 9,957

QUOTE (Sprite - Caffeine Free @ Dec 9 2009, 05:00 PM) *
maybe they don't have the money to continue..

Not being cynical here, but lets be honest. We all know its a financial thing. The reasoning may make sense, but if the NBL is going to continue feeding the membership lines of bull poop instead of the hard bottom line, then I don't' see that a damn thing has changed.

+Quote Post
BigJeff
post Dec 9 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 2,497

Well just say it is a cost thing and move on...................Still should be some overlap and prove that it can be done ( history show they can't handle a basic site, let alone a more complicated one ).......ABBA still has their's and how are their member still getting one at a similar price point for membership.....................Anyone can get a pic on the net, but one in hard print is priceless.................I'm out BigJeff

This post has been edited by BigJeff: Dec 9 2009, 04:21 PM

+Quote Post
DeanHoward
post Dec 9 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #8

A Pro

Member No.: 13,066

This is bull. I can read a magazine subscription from front to back before I can even get the NBL website to load. Can you imagine reading it online? Now what am I gonna put in the magazine rack in the john?

+Quote Post
AirportFF
post Dec 9 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 7,527

QUOTE (BigJeff @ Dec 9 2009, 05:19 PM) *
Anyone can get a pic on the net, but one in hard print is priceless.................I'm out BigJeff

Exactly.

It's also a great thing when new people sign up at the track and you can hand out a magazine. And tell them you will also get a subscription to this. Now what do we do? Give them a business card with the website address. It's hard for families to come up with the money sometimes to buy a membership. Now you want to take aay the one small selling point we had.

+Quote Post
sjaquay
post Dec 9 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Expert

Member No.: 14,703

Are they going to lower the yearly license by $10-15 now which is what this portion was supposed to be going for?

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2018 - 08:34 PM