Reply to this topicStart new topic
2018 rules changes, Wednesday webinar
Moose001
post Sep 26 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 13,253

With Wednesday's rule discussion webinar fast approaching, I thought I would throw out a few ideas for rule changes.

1. Bonus Points for racing in hot and humid weather: Some summer days after working a 10+ hour day and doing registration, the last thing I really want to do is go ride my bike. It's a heck of a lot of work to ride when it is really hot. 4 or 5 points isn't much reward.

2. Changing the transfer system: This would be for the older riders. Instead of going to the main, once you win your moto you can be done for the day. This would be really nice on those hot days.

3. Head start for riders: When you are racing riders 1/2 your age. You should get at least half the front straight or even to turn one.

4. Total points: One of our younger riders, Fred who is 43, always hopes for total points. I would go one step further, total points with an expert in your class.

Seriously I think the USABMX crew are doing a good job and I am very curious to see what is in store for 2018.

And on a very happy note. My oldest son who is 18, (he has raced since 2005) and is the reason I got in to BMX. Got his clearance to go back racing next year. He had horrible crash in early June, got a major concussion, broke his collar bone (again) and gave me a bit of a scare, as he was unconscious for a while. But now that he has been cleared, my 15 year old said he will also come back and race him. And my 20 year old daughter is working here in town, so she will be racing too.

I'll probably be helping at our track forever. but it is much more fun when your kids can be there too.

Dave
Marquette BMX
46 & (way) over novice

This post has been edited by Moose001: Sep 26 2017, 04:13 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monty C.
post Sep 26 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,714

51 & over 20" please.....

This post has been edited by Monty C.: Sep 26 2017, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Sep 27 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

District capes

Let this be the year

+Quote Post
DJBBMX
post Sep 27 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 6,967

What we really need is a Clydesdale class for those of us well over the 200lb mark.

+Quote Post
bnd
post Sep 30 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

Being part of raising 2 novies for the past 6 years & with my 9 yr old going on 1 yr being inter, I have thoughts on the whole "novice/inter'flats/clips rule.
I see some newbies cruising to their 10 wins & the parents throw the clips on the bikes asap because they see most of the other inter riders running them.
I still think after 10 wins it's too soon for kids to clip in, I just do. I see it first hand some kids are making progress in the skills dept & as soon as they clip in, it's 2 steps back.

I don't know what the answer is to this, racer needs so many races after going inter before clipping in? Wins?, Podiums? Time as an Inter before changing?

b.

+Quote Post
Bumpy
post Sep 30 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 58,824

QUOTE (bnd @ Sep 30 2017, 11:39 AM) *
Being part of raising 2 novies for the past 6 years & with my 9 yr old going on 1 yr being inter, I have thoughts on the whole "novice/inter'flats/clips rule.
I see some newbies cruising to their 10 wins & the parents throw the clips on the bikes asap because they see most of the other inter riders running them.
I still think after 10 wins it's too soon for kids to clip in, I just do. I see it first hand some kids are making progress in the skills dept & as soon as they clip in, it's 2 steps back.

I don't know what the answer is to this, racer needs so many races after going inter before clipping in? Wins?, Podiums? Time as an Inter before changing?

b.

I don't think you use rules to take care of this. The problem naturally sorts itself out when they meet again in 13X and one kid can actually ride a bike and the other struggles to transfer.

+Quote Post
bnd
post Oct 1 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

...........but then you get a kid who drops out of the sport. I'm looking at the retention of the ridership too.

This topic is a tough one, as it's always been.

Maybe more info to the parents?

I have a co-worker whose step son just moto'd his way thru 9 novice, a real natural & is 1 win away from going into my sons class.
I've done my best to inform him not to feel pressured to clip his kid in until he can develop good, solid Inter skills.
Yeah, it's gonna be disappointing going from killing it, to maybe not getting out of your moto but hopefully he keeps it fun,
learns a little every race then starts making it happen.

b.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Oct 11 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

Did this Webinar happen? Anyone have a report?

M

+Quote Post
bmxundergrounddo...
post Oct 13 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 14,024

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Oct 11 2017, 09:41 PM) *
Did this Webinar happen? Anyone have a report?

M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=338dG36Z1L4...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 08:35 AM