Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Apr 25 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

We will race again, I am certain of it. It may not be til July, but it will happen.

Of course, it depends on the state/county/local regulations.

I have no insider knowledge, but I do have my own ideas on how it might go down.

There is no doubt that it's going to be a bit more expensive, and require a higher degree of understanding on the part of all involved. Hopefully, the "we're all in this together" factor can help us through it.

How to catch-up the schedule:

* Run East/West, North/South double weekends. That will be good to both get all the calendar races in, and also reduce the rider count at those races (which now becomes a good thing).

As far as the at-the-track set up:

* If testing is readily-available, it would be best to test everyone on the crew before each race (USA BMX staff, officials and medics).

* Face coverings for all (question as to whether riders on the track could/should wear them?)

* Only the essential spectators (rider, plus one. Maybe two for later races).

* Everyone becomes a "Rental Car Pro." Everyone pits in their car, spaced appropriately.

* Parents can watch from the fenceline, with distancing between them and the fence, behind and horizontally , but then must go back to their car with the kid.

* Kids must stay with the parent at all times, it's too easy to break distancing if not.

* Need to reconfigure staging. Space it out to observe distancing. Will depend on the track's unique set-up how it gets set up. No staging chutes.

* No concessions at the track. Encourage families to shop locally and prepare track food in the room, or work with a local deli or two to prepare "track lunches" that families can order, and are delivered to the room early on the morning of the practice/race.

* National tracks traditionally earn their money for the race from concessions and parking...So without concessions, there is a $15 per day fee added on to each rider's entry to help the track (per rider, not per class entered).

* No 50/50. Could it be legal to, somehow, run it online?

* Age "Blocks" for racing and practice. Allow one hour between blocks for clear-out and disinfecting common surfaces/restrooms. Strider-9, 10-16 and Pros, 17-25, 26-Over

* No Pre-Race. Friday will be for Practice, in above groups.

* Vending/Racewear must have a spaced line. Only a certain number of people in the tent at a time.

* No Trophies. Everyone entered gets "saver stamp value" loaded on to an app-driven account for later redemption or spending. There are "loyalty" program apps already out there to do this.

* THE GATE is the biggest problem. Do we go four men (2, 4, 6, 8) in the motos and break distancing only for semis and mains?

There is no doubt that the above makes raceday a whole different thing, not nearly as fun from a social point of view, but for those families who want to race, I think most national racers would rather race, and accept the conditions of these (hopefully-temporary) precautions.

What About the Grands?

Hopefully, this is all in the rearview by the Grands.

If not, maybe they use the above, PLUS:

* Run two tracks, one in the Ford Trucks arena (for the youngins) and the normal track in the expo.

* Pro Spectacular is run without spectators, on a pay-per-view basis. BMXers are notoriously cheap, but maybe they could be encouraged to put a dub up for our sport.

* The traditional factory pits are a question. What to do about that will depend on where we are by November.

Thanks for posting this, Ant! Definitely helps all of us put our thinking caps on. I may-just run the above as a News feature.

Looking forward to getting back out there!

Best,

M

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Apr 27 2020, 09:02 AM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,739

Mike good thoughts here in NJ I am not sure what the plans are (been working on my truck to keep my mind occupied) but I am going to try and find out what our plans are

* No 50/50. Could it be legal to, somehow, run it online?

That might be a no no in NJ not sure

That is the only issue I can see after looking your ideas over, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
SteveClark
post Apr 27 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #4

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,503

During the BMXNEWS podcast with John David, he said they had some plans in place for different dates to start things back up. He did not even give a hint at what any of those plans were. I think it's pretty clear to most that USABMX lives off of the national series. They make a little off of each local race, but their bread and butter is nationals. They will do everything they can to run as many of those as possible. Clearly, I would imagine that some safety issues will change, but if it comes down to having races under the list that Mike mentioned, with limited people, practices, pit areas, ect. I will just stay home and race locals. I go to nationals as much for the hanging out with friends as I do for the results. There is no doubt that racing, and the world in general, is going to change, but hopefully those changes can be as minimal as possible. Only time will tell. OPEN, OPEN, OPEN.

This post has been edited by SteveClark: Apr 27 2020, 09:20 AM

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Apr 27 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (SteveClark @ Apr 27 2020, 10:19 AM) *
During the BMXNEWS podcast with John David, he said they had some plans in place for different dates to start things back up. He did not even give a hint at what any of those plans were. I think it's pretty clear to most that USABMX lives off of the national series. They make a little off of each local race, but their bread and butter is nationals. They will do everything they can to run as many of those as possible. Clearly, I would imagine that some safety issues will change, but if it comes down to having races under the list that Mike mentioned, with limited people, practices, pit areas, ect. I will just stay home and race locals. I go to nationals as much for the hanging out with friends as I do for the results. There is no doubt that racing, and the world in general, is going to change, but hopefully those changes can be as minimal as possible. Only time will tell. OPEN, OPEN, OPEN.

My list is strictly my opinion--not the official list, by any stretch. Mine is probably MORE extreme than what it would end up being.

That said, I get what your saying, for sure. BUT, with block racing, you would have more time to hang out with your BMX buddies AWAY from the track. Have some beers in the hotel parking lot, ride some local trails, go axe throwing...whatever.

People always say they want block racing in the USA BMX program in order to spend less time at the track, and more time enjoying the cities we all visit. Most of the time, we see the airport, the hotel, Waffle House, the track, and rental car return. This could be something that sticks, after COVID, if it works.

So, while you're at the track, there may be more extreme safety measures than usual, but you'll only be there for three hours or so each day, then out, doing other fun stuff, trash talking just like always.

Hope to see you out there!

M

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Apr 27 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,739

I go to nationals as much for the hanging out with friends as I do for the results

Steve Clark we think alike one day we will meet up

+Quote Post
Monty C.
post May 6 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 1,714

make all the nationals 3 dayer's, thats how you make up some dates....

+Quote Post
cwstnsko
post May 7 2020, 02:27 PM
Post #8

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 30,566

Black Mountain and Chandler returning to racing tomorrow in AZ. I hope to get back on the track for the 1st time since February.

+Quote Post
cwstnsko
post May 10 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 30,566

27 motos at Chandler on Friday night. For the most part the racing itself ran normally. They did set up contactless pre-sign through Venmo and Zelle, and they were restricting the number of people who could go inside the sign-ups/snack bldg to no more than 4 at a time.

+Quote Post
bnd
post May 10 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #10

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (cwstnsko @ May 10 2020, 10:53 PM) *
27 motos at Chandler on Friday night. For the most part the racing itself ran normally. They did set up contactless pre-sign through Venmo and Zelle, and they were restricting the number of people who could go inside the sign-ups/snack bldg to no more than 4 at a time.

I'm on the board with 4 others this year running a track, 1st time for me officially. Iv'e been a helper unit for decades but really wanted to make a difference & got in with 4 other old school dudes that have been around the block a few times & we all think alike.

As we get closer to actually getting back to be able to work on the track, then practices, then races, I'll post up what & how we are doing things. For the life of me Mike, I can't see how many of your ideas would fly here. I know other parts of the USA is harder hit than us, but I see Utah being a lot like AZ. Keep you posted.

Here's my hit-it-out-of-the-park-crazy ass-prediction on the Grands...…………..

They are going to have it in Las Vegas or AZ in an outdoor venue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Even on the best weekends in Tulsa, when the weather is 60*'s, you STILL get the Grands flu. I for one was planning on going this year but no freaking way if it's there.. Try to social distance in that place? My kid & I would get maybe 2 laps of practice in one day.

b.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2020 - 04:33 AM