Reply to this topicStart new topic
State of the BMX Union, This is not a "growing the sport" thread
BS
post Jan 24 2020, 11:03 AM
Post #1

The other CA10

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,545

I was poking around on usabmx.com the other day and I found this page 20,000 Points Club. Interesting to see the numbers of people that are chasing District points. Also to see how many people were doing it in years past versus today.

One of the real standouts to me was to see Mike Savage of Connecticut on the list for both cruiser and 20-inch for 2014. Most people know his story and his quest to race in all 50 States but I was trying to calculate how many times he would have to race per week in order to get over 26,000 points that year. I'm assuming there must be an indoor track available to him considering the weather he must contend with back there. Anyway, interesting to look at the lists and see the names past and present. There are always some interesting nooks and crannies to look at on there when trying to avoid doing work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Jan 27 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,739

For the first time in YEARS he did not get District 1 in his home state

+Quote Post
SteveClark
post Feb 4 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 17,503

I think a lot more people would chase district points if you could use them. Anybody that gets a NAG plate loses their district number as well as it's way easier to go to a handful of races and get a state #7 than it is to bust your butt all year for a district #7. Also, if people know that there will be 5 people ahead of them that are most likely going to get a NAG plate and get removed from the district standings, there isn't as much of a need to chase points yourself. Letting everyone keep their district points and getting rid of state #2-10 is the key to people racing locals and chasing points. I doubt it will ever happen though.

+Quote Post
ihailfromohio
post Feb 6 2020, 09:20 AM
Post #4

A Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,463

Mike does race some indoor races. He was at Dayton Indoor a few weeks ago and said he was heading to the Rock Island track in Illinois/Iowa. I believe he also hit up the Michigan indoor but I'm not 100% on that one. Im sure Indiana's Steelwheels was on his list as well while in the area. And yea, I know for fact that plenty of racers in my area skip locals due to the fact that there's no point in chasing those points since they're chasing a nag plate and feel confident that theyll earn one. I agree they shouldnt pull them out of the points.

+Quote Post
Bill Hayden
post Mar 10 2020, 10:52 PM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,513

Lots of fun racing Mike over the years.....

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Mar 11 2020, 06:08 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

The whole issue of NAG riders can't earn district numbers is an interesting conundrum, created by the unique ecosystem of BMX Racing.

USA BMX relies on people racing nationals to stay in business. I would venture to say the majority of their revenue comes from national entry fees, sponsorship dollars and other things relating to nationals.

Therefore, the "value" of a NAG (and to a lesser extent national) plate must be kept high. That means people need to run them to keep the profile high. Kind of like, with the pros...as soon as pros stopped running the USA BMX Pro #1 plate (due to UCI rules or modern era modesty customs), the value of that plate started to sink, and is now worth nothing, since nobody knows who the #1 pro is. That is one of the "four horsemen" of the BMX pro apocalypse. But...I digress.

Back to the question at-hand. This is the reason that they don't let people run their three digit number. The whole system relies on those thin, colored plastic plates. It should not be that way, but it is, and there is no going back.

District is, of course, part of that chase as well. And the NAG kids were parked at the top of all the standings, like poimenant.

I wasn't around when the change took place, but the thinking in developing this rule seemed to be that it is MORE discouraging for the same riders to be spot-welded at the top of the district standings, for years and years, than it is for those NAG kids to give up those district plates, and allow kids who presumably focus on the district and regional races to have their time to shine.

I have to admit, I kind of agree--at least in terms of trying to allow as many riders as possible to earn a low number.

I know NAG riders say "I'd race more locals if I could earn a district number." I'm not sure I believe that; you get triple district points for your national wins, all kinds of other extra (albeit earned) points for racing he pre-race or whatever. You're going to rank high no matter what--even if you didn't do any more than your required locals. Of course, it's a "free" statement to make...nobody is going to hold you to it, because it's never going to happen.

It sure would be nice if they disconnected the cross-pointing of races. Nationals only earn national points...locals only earn district points, etc. If they did that, I would be totally in favor of letting those NAG riders have a shot a district one again.

Best,

Mike

+Quote Post
Bill Hayden
post Mar 12 2020, 03:57 AM
Post #7

AA Pro

Mike, when I left racing around 2012, seemed like nationals had become the new locals. So many nats, kids just showed to practice at local races.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Mar 12 2020, 07:49 AM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (Bill Hayden @ Mar 12 2020, 04:57 AM) *
Mike, when I left racing around 2012, seemed like nationals had become the new locals. So many nats, kids just showed to practice at local races.

I think it's still like that in many places...which creates a chicken and egg situation of "not enough riders to make an expert class" and "no classes for the riders who DO show up."

In the past couple years, many tracks have stopped waiting for the "great pumpkin" (top experts and pros) who use the track as a practice ground only, and they have started catering to the LOCAL riders. Beginner League, Novices and Intermediates.

It makes a HUGE difference in vibe around the track, with more energy, less complaining, less talk about how the track needs to be buffed-up, etc. And more volunteers who are stoked to be there and be part of something awesome.

Once local programs properly align themselves, and stop chasing the Great Pumpkin, everyone can be happy (except for those top-hand experts...some of them are NEVER happy, and never will be).

Best,

M

+Quote Post
Bill Hayden
post Mar 12 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #9

AA Pro

Saw that with our local track, cant wait to start again

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Mar 16 2020, 11:52 PM
Post #10

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

BMX racing is one of those rare examples where what's good for the owners of the sport isn't the same as what's good for the sport itself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2020 - 04:44 AM